Jarovnice is located in the Šarišská vrchovina, within the valley of the Malá Svinka stream. The area has been inhabited since the Neolithic period, and Slavic grave findings have been mentioned in its history. The village was first mentioned in written records dating back to 1260. In the early 14th century, it consisted of two separate settlements known as Vyšné and Nižné Jarovnice, which later merged in the 15th century. The village was under the ownership of various noble families. The most significant structure throughout its existence has been the Roman Catholic church in Jarovnice, which was reconstructed in the Renaissance style in 1524. It underwent substantial expansion during the 18th century.